How do Alcohol and Marijuana Affect Sexual Performance? – By Justin Lehmiller A lot of people attempt to enhance their sex lives by turning to perception-altering substances, with two of the most common being alcohol and marijuana. But how exactly do these drugs affect us in the bedroom? A recent study published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior offers some insight.
A lot of participants reported that both substances make them feel sexier or more attractive; however, this was more common for drinking than it was for smoking. Both substances were described as affecting one’s choice of sexual partner; however, people said that alcohol tended to have a more negative effect on partner selection. Why? When people were drunk, they were more likely to have sex with strangers they probably wouldn’t otherwise hook-up with (the old ” beer goggles ” effect). By contrast, when people were high, they tended to have sex with people they already knew. This difference in partner selection is probably a function of the fact that people tend to use alcohol and marijuana in very different settings: alcohol is consumed more often in bars and clubs, whereas marijuana is consumed more often in homes and private parties. Given these differences in partner selection, is should not be surprising that alcohol use was linked to having more sexual regrets the next day compared to marijuana. Most commonly, these regrets were linked to choice of partner; however, they sometimes involved specific sexual acts, such as forgoing condom use. Alcohol was linked to more impairments in sexual performance, including erectile difficulties, vaginal dryness, and (sometimes) falling asleep during sex. Some marijuana users reported negative sexual effects, too, but they were more psychological than physical in nature (you know, like paranoia and anxiety). Both substances were described as having dosage effects, with each linked to more problems when consumed in larger (compared to smaller) quantities. Participants were more likely to say that the physical sensations of sex were enhanced or heightened while high, but “numbed” while drunk. A lot of people said sex lasts longer when they’re drunk; however, this is likely due to alcohol’s desensitizing effects on the body. Interestingly, some people thought this was a good thing, whereas others thought it wasn’t. Marijuana use was linked to feeling that sex lasts longer, even though if it didn’t actually last longer—it just changed people’s perception of time. Both drugs were seen as having inconsistent effects on orgasm. While some felt that being high led to more intense orgasms, others had difficulty reaching orgasm because they felt too distracted. Likewise, while some felt that alcohol delayed or inhibited orgasm, others said that being drunk allowed them to orgasm faster or more often. Marijuana was more often described as resulting in tender and slow sexual experiences, whereas alcohol was linked to more intense sex. Both drugs were linked to trying new things in bed.
Keep in mind that all of these findings come from a small study and shouldn’t be generalized broadly. Also, remember that these findings are based on self-report data, which means that people may not recall precisely how much of each substance they consumed or exactly how it affected them.
- More research is certainly needed, but these results suggest that alcohol and marijuana seem to have quite different sexual effects.
- However, understanding the effects of these drugs is a very complex matter, given that they depend not only on dosage, but also on a given person’s body chemistry.
- To learn more about this research, see: Palamar, J.J., Acosta, P., Ompad, D.C., & Friedman, S.R.
(2016). A qualitative investigation comparing psychosocial and physical sexual experiences related to alcohol and marijuana use among adults. Archives of Sexual Behavior, doi:10.1007/s10508-016-0782-7 Note: The definitive version of this article was originally published on Sex & Psychology,
– Dr. Justin Lehmiller is an award winning educator and a prolific researcher and scholar. He has published articles in some of the leading journals on sex and relationships, written two textbooks, and produces the popular blog, Sex & Psychology, Dr. Lehmiller’s research topics include casual sex, sexual fantasy, sexual health, and friends with benefits.
He is currently the Director of the Social Psychology Graduate Program and an Assistant Professor of Social Psychology at Ball State University. Image via Pixabay.
What type of alcohol makes you last longer in bed?
Relationship: 5 alcoholic drinks to spice up your sex life These 5 alcoholic drinks are believed to be powerful enough to boost your sexual performance and gift you with a ‘night to remember’ Representational image When it comes to making a romantic night out, a glass of red wine or a bottle of champagne fits best in this category. If you believe in the old school of thought, that drinking alcohol before can worsen things on bed, then it is time for you to think otherwise.
- The smooth sips of alcoholic drinks can spice up things underneath the sheets.
- Here are 5 such alcoholic drinks that are believed to be strong enough to improve your sexual performance.1.
- Red Wine: The drink makes both men and women horny by increasing their sexual arousal.
- While drinking two glasses of red wine can boost sex drive in women, drinking one glass is sufficient to increase testosterone in men.
However, do not consume the drink in excess. Limit yourself to two glasses and experience the spice on bed, which you may not have felt otherwise. The passion drink does wonders to your cosy cuddly moments under the sheet.2. Beer: Taking sips from chilled bottles will enhance your performance on bed. Representational image 3. Champagne: The froth and fizz of this ‘elite drink’ is blessed with an amazing property, and i.e. it enhances sex drive. Having a glass of champagne before sex is said to turn the night more romantic and exciting. It increase duration of foreplay, the number of positions and total duration of intercourse. Representational image 4. Brandy Alexander: This is more of a milk chocolate drink right from the other and not the actual brandy, and chocolate does spice up your sex life. Have a glass of this smooth creamy drink and get set for an out-of-the-world sexual intercourse.
Rather than spending time on researching, simply take the drink and experience the difference. The clock might move slowly and steadily! 5. Tequila: Tequila shots will definitely make your sleeves fall of quickly, especially for women. Tequila shots will gear up your sex drive and bring kind of a euphoric effect, when you are all set to go wild on bed, floor, or bathroom.
While tequila shots do wonders to a men’s sex drive, it is more beneficial for women. Few shots and they will be ready to slip through the body of their man, gently, warmly and passionately.
Representational image Which of these drinks are you going to sip together for a great session under the moonlit sky?
What drink makes men last longer in bed?
4. Caffeinated Drinks – Image courtesy Canva Caffeine is a natural central nervous system stimulant that can help increase mental alertness and physical energy levels. This may help improve focus and concentration during sexual activity, reducing distractions and enhancing pleasure.
- Caffeine can also help increase endurance and reduce fatigue by stimulating the release of adrenaline, a hormone that prepares the body for physical activity.
- This can help men sustain sexual activity for a longer period, allowing them to last longer in bed.
- However, it’s important to note that excessive caffeine consumption can lead to negative side effects, such as anxiety, restlessness, and insomnia, which may impact sexual function.
Additionally, excessive caffeine intake can increase blood pressure and heart rate, which may be dangerous for individuals with certain medical conditions.
Does alcohol reduce stamina?
Reduced aerobic performance – Alcohol reduces your body’s ability to convert food to energy. It also reduces carbohydrates and blood sugar levels. These, and lactic acid build-up and dehydration, combine to reduce aerobic performance.
What can I drink to stay hard in bed?
7. Feel free to drink more caffeine – Love coffee or tea? Great! A 2005 review showed that caffeine may improve blood flow and relax the muscles that help you get and keep an erection. Try to keep it to black coffee, unsweetened tea, and caffeinated drinks without sweeteners.